Welcome to the Dutch Shepherd Dog Club of America!
- Is intelligent, obedient and very athletic
- Weighs 45 to 75 pounds and stands 21.5 to 24.5 inches tall
- Has a life expectancy of 11 to 14 years
- Was first bred in the Netherlands in 1898 and used as a sheepdog or all purpose farm dog
- Is now used in herding, competitive obedience, agility, nosework, protection sports, search and rescue and as a police dog
- Requires extensive mental and physical exercise
- Is easily trained with a responsive temperament
Well-developed trousers are preferred. The tail is abundantly feathered.
The head, ears, feet, and the hind legs below the hock are covered with short, dense hair. There is no feathering on the ears. The back of the forelegs are feathered, which gets shorter toward the feet.
The tail is well-covered with long hair.